Friday, October 22, 2004

Last Tuesday, I completed my training to be a volunteer for the Hospice of Central Michigan, http://www.hospicecentralmich.com/. I have enjoyed the training very much, especially the spiritual care session. Last Tuesday, we visited the Lux Funeral Home where we received a Funeral 101 session. I learnt that it is expensive to die in Michigan. A concrete vault costing at least $2,700 is required so that the ground will be protected. Then you select a casket costing at least $2,700 plus another $3,000 approximately for the services. It is much cheaper to get a divorce. The sky is the limit here. You will also receive a video showing pictures of the individual with selected music and scenes. I also learnt more about enbalming than I really want to know. Remember to die with your mouth shut because otherwise the mortician has to pin your jaws shut with a long stainless steel pin. Being cremated is cheaper than being buried. In fact the cheapest casket for cremation is only $195 and I believe that I can build it myself!

I have always thought that I would not want any viewing of my dead body but apparently the viewing is for the living. They need it to feel good about my dying. I am not sure that I care at that point. Time will tell. More later.

No comments: